The LAVA project coordinates the development and deployment of a number of software resources which allow groups of students to participate in computer simulations of the planning, execution and reporting of archaeological fieldwork projects. Student's learning experiences are enhanced by allowing participation in realistic, experiential and collaborative learning. These top level aims are achieved using software resources which provide a number of desirable educational attributes:
- Real world, or realistic, input
- Anytime, anywhere access to learning materials
- Student focused, hands on exploratory scenarios
- Easy access to support materials and links for conducting further study
- Support for collaborative learning
- Support for reflective learning
A consequence of achieving these aims is an increase in the effectiveness of student learning, and thereby student employability.